Saturday, February 5, 2011

2 cyclones and a broken foot

Hello hello. I lost the cord for my mobile phone so haven't been able to post any photos or blogs. It's still lost so I've tried to catch up using our really dodgy old digital camera. So the big news is that 2 cyclones wizzed through town this past week. The first, Anthony, was a small category 2 or 3, depending on who you talk to. The eye came through us and it was a bit rough and a little exciting. The house held up fine, no branches lost. We were mainly worried about the sheets of iron on the roof, but they held fine. But then came Cyclone Yasi, the huge mother of all cyclones. We were so so so lucky not to have been any nearer to the eye. What we got was bad enough thankyou. Here's some pics.

the morning before the cyclone hit the winds were already very strong



some of the damage in town

I am honestly over cyclones, especially after seeing the terrible mess it left up North. We were very lucky.

The other news is that I've broken my foot. :(
The culprit was our kitchen stairs...



I took a big step from the top step to the floor and my foot rolled. I heard a loud snap and passed out for a few seconds. It was horribly painful, but I managed to hobble around on it for 10 days, and start my job at the pub, before realising that it was a serious injury and I needed to see a doctor. Turns out the long bone that goes towards my little toe is completely snapped in half. I nearly died when I saw the x-ray.
And this is how my poor foot looks now...



So this morning when Lev said, 'What job should I do today?' I looked at those kitchen stairs and said, 'We need to do something about those stairs'.

It's been on our list as urgent because Illy is crawling quite quickly and has already fallen down the stairs twice (just like mummy), and we couldn't put a gate on it as it was.  Also one of the previous renovators who cut the stairs into the floor cut through a supporting beam and failed to do anything about it (and the floor was springy). So Lev got to work and this is what he achieved today.



the citronella candle was to stop mozzies coming inside



There's a still a bit of work to do now, sealing it off properly mainly and making a gate to stop baby (and mummy) from falling. We're not going to carpet the top because we'll be ripping up all that carpet and putting a new floor for the new kitchen and dining later on. And obviously there's sanding and finishing off to do too. All in good time!

So that's our latest news. My next blog will be a catch up of the things that happened over the last month.

No comments:

Post a Comment